My Date With The Devil And The Angel

“Why????”
It was as if I was sitting inside a steel box and as I asked this question out loud, the voice bounced off from one corner of the room to another till it struck me. Then it badgered itself into my brain.
I was no longer seated alone in this room. With me were the devil and the angel or so I could make out from their generic costumes. To my right sat the devil in a red leather jumpsuit complete with the whip, devil horns, snide remarks and smirks.                                                                               
To my left was the angel who was dressed in a white dress with her hair pushed back by a hairband. Her face was constantly plastered with a smile which was serene and sweet. She seemed nice.

“Why do I have to do good or be good?”
“You don’t…,” The devil said and shrugged. Totally nonchalant.
I realized that by each passing second they started looking more and more like me.
“She’s right. You don’t. But don’t you want to?” That was the angel’s argument.
More questions. If this was what I wanted to hear I would’ve talked to that stupid life coach who would’ve charged me a hundred bucks an hour.
“I don’t know, that’s why I’m asking you. And why do you both look like me?”
“Because we are you.”  They said in unison. It was like a symphony, the sound of their voices together.
So, since the life coach was out of my budget , I spent a few dollars on a brownie and waited for the world to disintegrate.
“Hey lady!  Could you hurry up? You ate only a single brownie so you have 10 minutes left.” The devil screeched.  She sounded horrible yet something in me wanted to hear more of.
“I want a reason why I should help people, why I shouldn’t be selfish and mean.”
“Reasons are not what you need to be searching for, girl.” The angel said.
“Yeah!  Get reckless and do what you want.” The devil exclaimed.

Those statements got my eyebrows in a knit.
“But that’s not what you want to hear. Right? Truth is being good is bad. When you do something good you feel satisfied. ..”
“And it is for that rush that you do, in fact, do well. Being good is bad. You are actually just being selfish…”
“And that’s why there is good and bad in everything and everyone.”

They were completing each other’s sentences like it was no big deal. They stood up and so did I. There was a breeze in the room somehow and their images started flickering. They were transforming into one and I was suddenly face-to-face with my own self.

Because we are you.”  Their words echoed in my mind. They are me. I am the devil and the angel. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#ForTheSelfMade

The Post 370 Era.

Ozymandias- A King Full Of Regret